Friday, May 9, 2008

Mmmmmm.....Bread

Stacy E. this is for you!



One of my favorite things to do is bake bread, now that I've had enough "learning experiences" to get it right. I don't think there is much that can beat a piece of warm bread, fresh out of the oven, slathered with butter and honey. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I've even succeeded in changing my husband's perception of whole wheat bread. The recipe that I use was given to me by my wonderful friend, Cassie. If I remember correctly, it comes from her grandma, Fern Furness. With all the practice I got before getting it right, I've tweaked it just a bit. So Stacy, here's the recipe. Try it-it may erase your latest bread fiasco. By the way, have you burned that recipe book yet?

Okay - the recipe:


( In order of how I put them in the mixer)
2 Tablespoons shortning, room temperature
3 Tablespoons ground flax seed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups hot water (I use the hottest I can get out of the tap)
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons dough enhancer
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast (1 packet)


Mix on low speed for approximately 5 minutes, then gradually add 2 1/2 - 4 cups whole wheat flour. Add flour only until the bread dough forms a ball and sides of the mixer bowl come clean. (I never use the whole 4 cups of flour.) Add 1 teaspoon salt to the dough, then turn the mixer to medium and continue mixing for another 8-10 minutes. Dough will be just slightly sticky and smooth. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Form into loaves on an oiled (not floured!) surface and place in greased bread pans. Allow bread to raise until doubled.


Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove loaves from pans immediately after taking them from the oven and cool on a rack.

That's it! Something this good is definitely worth sharing. Now, go make some bread and enjoy!

Just a side note: One of the best things I did to improve my bread making skills was to buy a Bosch Mixer! If you are thinking about making bread on a regular basis, you may want to look into it.


6 comments:

Miller Family said...

Yummmmm...Thanks for sharing the recipe. It sounds WONDERFUL. If and when I find time to bake bread I'll definately give it a try.

Cassie said...

YUM

Anonymous said...

I see how you are! Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it soon. I think I'll tackle tatting next.

Becky said...

Umm...yeah. Let me know how the bread goes, and then we'll talk tatting. Baby steps, Stacy, baby steps.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the bread is just great. I've made 4 loaves already!

SHELLY said...

what the heck is dough enhancer....and how come Cassie didn't give me the recipe.......oh, and I noticed your pampered chef cooling racks..
Shelly

farewell

Until next time, friends!
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou