Saturday, June 7, 2008

Memorial Day Memory

I've been meaning to get these videos and pictures posted for over a week now. Memorial Day in small town Ohio is something else. Every little town has a parade and service at the local cemetery. The BLHS Marching band did two parades and one Memorial Service that morning. We have pictures and video from the one in Middleburg. As we were standing by the road watching the parade go by, Micah collected almost as much candy as he did on Halloween. So, here's what makes up a Memorial Day Parade in Middleburg, OH....

A marching band,
(I tried out the movie maker on the computer for the first time. In case you can't make him out, Chris is the sousaphone in the middle.)




The oldest citizen in the township, (the lady in the trailer, not the gent driving the John Deere)

An oldtime John Deere tractor (every time this green machine came chuggin' by the house, Micah was at the window or out the door like a shot. He loves it. However, he refuses to get on it, no matter how nicely Dean offers!)


A posse of 4-Wheelers,



Fred Dearduff and his miniture ponies,




The rich kids on the block with their toy Escalades,

as well as a few politicians and fire trucks that I guess weren't interesting enough to be saved for posterity. Usually there are a lot of kids on bikes decked out in red, white, and blue, but I guess the 4-wheelers outdid that.


After the parade, everyone gathered in the cemetery for the memorial service where we were reminded by a very conservative WWII veteran/reverend that this country is going to heck in a handbasket if we don't turn back to the God that created us and made possible the founding of this great nation we live in. (I liked this guy. Let's just put it out there like it is. No apologies or pussy footing around the issue.)

Chistopher and fellow sousaphone players at the cemetery

This last video is one Lance would prefer not be saved or shared, but I have to. Listen and you'll understand why :) (We obviously don't sing this song enough!)

We enjoyed the day, and I got my usual first-of-the-season sunburn in the shape of a V on my upper chest. (Gee, such a great accesory to go with the stylin' doesn't-really-fit swimsuit this season!) We ended the day at the movies, where Micah inhaled a small popcorn and large soda, and then promptly puked it all over Lance and himself. Poor Lance. He's always in the wrong spot at the wrong time when it comes to our kids and barf.

There you go. Our latest fun family memory in a nutshell. Hope you enjoyed it!

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Well, what do I say? This will be a real 'Memorable' Day when Lance finds out you put that beautiful rendition on your blog. LOL
You know, every time I sing it there is a place or two that always makes me think, I really out to find out exactly what I ought to be saying here. So I kind of get it....
Hope Micah brushed his teeth after all that candy. :o)

Anonymous said...

Becky's Blog is always good for a laugh. I think you may have to start getting permission from those whose antics you are using or you may be facing some serious repercussions. Of course, you have always been able to hold your own against others so I'm not too worried. Thanks for entertaining all of us out here on the other side of the country!

Lucy said...

I loved this blog. Jay would love to see all of those festivities on Memorial Day. We go to the cemetery for a 10 minute program along with about 20 other people. That's it.
Great blog.

farewell

Until next time, friends!
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou