Sunday, April 20, 2008

Needs...Wants...Wal-Mart



Last night (Saturday) after enjoying a piano recital featuring Todd & Mitch Coleman (good job, guys!), I needed to run into town for two items. Bread and bodywash. We needed both in the house if we were going to get to church this morning without failing to bring the Sacrament bread or offending others with the odor of unwashed bodies. That's it, that's all I needed. Let's see - bread is about $2 and the body wash around $3. Even with two bottles of body wash, I should have been able to get out of there having spent no more than ten bucks. Any guesses on how much the total at the end of the receipt was? If you said $100, you're pretty dang close. $96.85! How does bread and body wash turn into that? Actually, I don't think I have to explain it to you at all , do I? You all know exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you, Sam Walton & Co. for creating a space where my budget no longer has any meaning. Okay, so nobody forced me at gunpoint to put those other items in my cart. I did it all on my own. I can't blame the good folks at Wal-Mart, but they sure helped out just by putting it all in one place. Way too easy to impulse buy. Not everything that landed in the cart beyond my original items was unnecessary - cat food, t-shirt and shorts for Micah. I just didn't need them at the moment. None the less, now the finches have a double sock feeder hanging out under the tree, and when I find the time I can read all seven of the books in C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. They now have them in one complete paperback volume. (One more way to put off doing what really needs to be done around here!) I'll have to be back in that store again sometime this week to finish grocery shopping and when I go, I'm stickin' to The List. Think I can do it? The challenge is on, not just for myself, but for all of you, too! Good luck.

3 comments:

Miller Family said...

I know how you feel! I swear I can't even walk through the door without at least spending $50 bucks. It's like I feel the need to pay admission when I go! My friend Michelle, who's husband is the Store Manager, would tell you "Thanks for contributing to the cause!". I'll see what I can do about sticking to the list this weekend, luckily most of my food gets bought at Aldi =0)

Cassie said...

That challenge may rate right up there with weight loss. Almost a losing battle. Let me know how that goes for ya. And a big thanks for picking up the most expensive body wash ever. You all smelled so lovely Sunday morn.

Becca's Blog said...

You are right on with the Walmart thing. I can't ever get out of there without spending close to 100dollars either... and I don't even have kids to blame it on. I'm thinking of actually buying stock in Walmart because then at least could invest in myself a little when I shop there. Plus with the whole Economic Stimulus Package coming soon you know everyone is going to spend it there.

farewell

Until next time, friends!
OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou